Monday, June 24, 2013

Super Moon 2013

In case you hadn't heard, last night (June 23) was the "Super Moon" - the moon was the closest to the Earth that it will be for all of 2013, and according to one report I read it was actually the closest it had been to Earth since 2011. I was worried I wouldn't have a chance to take any photos, but after returning home last night from a friend's house I saw how beautiful it looked and ran outside around 11pm with my camera and tripod to see what I could get.




 As much as I love these close-up shots (each were taken with my zoom lens fully extended at 300mm, f/5.6, ISO 200 or 400, 1/320 shutter speed), there isn't much to them - anyone can take photos of the moon by itself. So, I tried a couple of different things. First was this shot of the moon behind a tree...the silhouette is rather nice, I think!
 I took these standing on the path around our pond, and wanted to make the most of the entire environment: the bright moon shining in the sky; the moonlight shining off of the pond; the houses and lights on the opposite side. Here's where my tripod really came into play, as I worked with long exposures to capture the entire view. This photo is my favorite of all that I took. 18mm, f/3.5, ISO 400, exposure 1.6s

No comments:

Post a Comment