Sunday, July 14, 2013

Ospreys at the Outer Banks

The three most recent posts on my family blog have included photos I took on my new point-and-shoot camera, the Canon Powershot SX500. For such a small camera, it packs a lot of punch! I have been very happy with the photos taken with it in the past week or so...so much so, that I'm going to show off a few of them here! Of course, the quality isn't what I get on my Canon Rebel DSLR, but I had no expectation it would be. I think you'll agree, however, that the results are still pretty great!

As I mentioned in one of these earlier posts, I went for a walk with my mom and aunt by Kill Devil Bay, part of the Albemarle Sound in the Outer Banks. When we walked out onto a pier, there was an osprey nest nearby that had quite a bit of activity. Note: the pier we were standing on was about 30 yards away from the nest.


"Dad" came home with a fish for the babies in the nest, and had to circle a number of times to keep the seagull (chasing him in the background) from stealing it away.
Here's where I started to see what the 30X zoom could really do.

This was taken at the limits of the zoom; the photo isn't perfectly sharp, but still of decent quality!


No comments:

Post a Comment