Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Portrait idea a la Pinterest

For anyone who has spent any time on Pinterest, you know how easy it is to get sucked down into the ridiculous amount of amazing ideas that abound there, whether it be ideas for craft projects, home decorating, art, photography, recipes...there's just so much. Often when I go there, it's to look for something in specific and then I quickly close the window, as I just don't have the hours and hours to spend there! This post is my take on an idea I saw floating around on both Pinterest and other websites over the holiday season (this photo is just one of many examples that exist of creating the "bokeh" effect, as it's called, with Christmas lights). I thought that with a relatively simple set up (a solid backdrop and some white Christmas lights), I should be able to replicate this idea fairly easily.
It took a bit of time to get the setup just right, but I'm pretty pleased with the results! It helps to have such a beautiful subject willing to dress up and pose for me.




There are a few issues with these photos (the crispness isn't quite what I would like on some of them), but overall I think for the first try it came out quite well. I have more from this shoot to post as well (including some with my son as a subject), and I'm going to try it again once we get my at-home studio set up. I am so excited to start working with it - hopefully tomorrow night we will finally have time!

1 comment: